The Enneagram tool can help you find freedom in your life: freedom from the negative voice that we call the inner critic.
The inner critic is the part of your ego that wants to maintain the status quo to keep you safe. How does the Enneagram help tame your inner critic?
You can tell the inner critic is speaking by the harshness of the voice and its desire for you to act quickly while the voice of your true self is gentle, calm and patient.
How does the Enneagram help tame your inner critic?
The Enneagram helps to tame the inner critic by helping you to know when it is speaking, so you have a choice as to whether you want to listen to it.
When you acknowledge the voice of the inner critic and let it know that you can take care of yourself, it will often quiet down.
To help you begin to become more aware of your inner critic, we will explore the different messages of the inner critic based on your type. Many of these voices may resonate for you because we have all types in us.
How does the Enneagram help tame your inner critic? You might want to discern what type you are before you read these inner critic issues for the nine types. Sign up for my monthly newsletter and get your free Enneagram Typing Test. Click Here
Discerning your Enneagram type will help you to focus on the message of the inner critic you are most likely to experience under stress. As we have all nine types in us, we will suffer the voice of the inner critic from more than one type.
Read through the inner critic issues of the nine types and note the ones you live with every day. The more we can become aware of them the less power they will have over us.
Type 1 The Reformer
· You can do better.
· I do what is right.
· You are a failure.
· Why won’t others be responsible?
· Just do the task, because no one else can do it like me.
· I desire to be good.
· Life can always be better.
My inner critic message: I’m good or okay if I do what is right.
Type 2 The Helper
· No one loves me.
· I don’t have any personal needs.
· I have to earn my love.
· When I devote my life to you, I deserve your love.
· I need to know what is going on.
· I need to be the center of attention.
· I love to help people whether or not they want my help.
· I will sacrifice my own needs to meet the needs of others.
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I am loved by others.
Type 3 The Achiever
· I have to be successful.
· I need to be the best.
· I need to look good.
· I need to work hard.
· I must do everything well.
· I must be appreciated to know that I am successful.
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if others think well of me and I’m successful.
Type 4 The Individualist
· I am special.
· I don’t fit in.
· No one likes me.
· I have to be true to myself.
· I am nothing if I can not feel.
· I want to stand out from other people.
· I am an emotional reaction.
· I quickly get caught up in shame.
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I am true to myself.
Type 5 The Investigator
· I only value what interests me.
· I will look stupid if I don’t have all the answers.
· Can I do it?
· I must master something.
· I don’t care about anything I am not interested in.
· What is there to be cynical about?
· What dark places do I like to go to?
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I master something.
Type 6 The Loyalist
· Don’t offend others.
· I am fearful of not getting it right
· I do what others expect of me.
· I need to find out from others if I got it right.
· The world is not safe.
· How can I say no to the inner critic especially if it feels like the voice of God?
· What is the inner committee saying?
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I know what is expected of me.
Type 7 The Enthusiast
· I am bored easily.
· I want to have fun.
· I want to keep my options open.
· How do I keep the fear away?
· Fear of missing out on anything fun.
· I am always looking for something new to keep the buzz going.
· I get what I need.
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I get what I need.
Type 8 The Challenger
· I am strong and in control of the situation.
· Don’t hold me back.
· Don’t hurt me.
· I do whatever I have to do to get the job done.
· I use force when necessary.
· Whom do I trust?
· Who is part of my world?
· Whom do I need to push over?
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if I can impose my will, be strong and just.
Type 9 The Peacemaker
· I keep the peace at all costs.
· I have no value.
· My needs are not necessary.
· Other people must feel good for me to be okay.
· I will go wherever you want to go.
· How do I keep the world out?
My inner critic message: I am good or okay if everyone around me is good or okay.
Click Here to Learn More About the Inner Critic
Once you can name the messages your inner critic gives you, you then have the opportunity to let them go. You are much more than the voice of the inner critic.
With practice, you will be able to notice the difference between the voice of your inner critic and your true self.
Remember that the voice of your true self is gentler, patient and calm. When the voice of the inner critic speaks, it is harsh, demanding and demeaning.
When you notice your inner critic, you may want to try a practice that will help you to quiet your mind such as meditation. If you are in the midst of activity, merely take a short break and do some deep breathing to help you quiet your inner critic.
Sometimes it can be helpful to have a quiet conversation with your inner critic, thanking it for trying to keep you safe. Let it know that you are now an adult and can make your decisions and it doesn't need to worry about you anymore. If speaking this is not enough you might try writing a letter and then burn it.
The Enneagram is a great tool to tame your inner critic. First, it helps you to name it. It helps you to notice the difference between the inner voice of your higher self and the voice of the often demeaning inner critic. Then it shows you ways to let go of the negative.
The voice of the inner critic will often present itself during times of stress. Just say thanks for trying to keep you safe, but assure it that it is no longer helpful. Invite it to go and relax while you take care of yourself.
Working through the Enneagram either on your own or with a coach you can find peace in your life. It has made a difference in my life. I invite you to see if it can make a difference in your life.
Roland Legge can help you to get to know yourself better and help you to be release For more information, please arrange for a free 30-minute discovery call by emailing Roland at email@example.com or book your appointment online